Sunday, February 28, 2010

Breast really best??

Okay, so I realize this is controversal --maybe even more so than politics...so before I start this little blog,you should know that I personally think either one is great! As long as you're feeding your baby and the baby is healthy! I'm just annoyed about some comments or reasons I hear for why one is better than the other... my conclusion before the article is that either is good. And, I should give my "stats"

1st child--exclusively nursed for 2 weeks before bawling my eyes out to my dr. about her eating all the time and me not making enough and feeling guilty...etc...then we did formula/nursing til 3 months...then straight bottles

2nd-nursed from just under 6 months. "loved" it--if you can say that. Really, with a two year old and newborn, it was the ONLY time I got to hold the poor kid! He also did well with bottles, so I could leave him with daddy or a friend and not worry.

3rd--she's now 5 months old and is exclusively breastfed (and baby food), however if she'd take the dern bottle, I'm pretty sure I'd be just as glad! I'm sore!

So why this post? I had a WIC appointment yesterday (Women, Infants, Children--basically low income families go, get "advice" and then get some checks that can be redeemed for protein rich foods). I always feel 100% dumber coming out of those appointments...go figure... I was actually told yesterday that I should work there since I have a BS in a related field... but, I know I'd just be paying for daycare, and I'm really not sure I could sit on the other side of the desk!

Anyways, when Tabitha was about 3 months old, a friend asked me if I was giving vitamins...WHAT? I though Breast was best.... her pediatrician said she should be giving vitamins b/c breast milk is not high enough in essenstials...interesting. Then at my WIC appointment yesterday, after being praised beyond all belief b/c of my "dedication to breast feeding" I was told I needed to start giving Tabitha vitamin D b/c after 6 months, the mother's milk is usually depleted of these vitamins....again..WHAT?!

Then there's bonding... bonding? Hmm....not sure how much bonding you get when you're watching TV and nursing, or screaming at the older kids to stop fighting.... or running around with baby attached trying to poor someone a drink they just can't wait for.... okay, so there was some bonding...but really, only when you're not sore, sleep deprived, or distracted.... so it's great for first time moms! :)

Antibodies--now there's an argument I can live with! Right after the baby is born, the mother's milk is RICH in antibodies...so if mom gets sick, baby will still get sick, but much less than if baby didn't have those antibodies....

The Guilt Trip--I don't know why we do this to ourselves or to others...but I felt so guilty when I quit nursing my second. It was wierd. And...I felt on the definsive all the time. In fact, at one of my WIC appointments I had to fill out a questionaire about why I didn't nurse... I wrote "PERSONAL" the lady laughed for the first time. With my 1st I was told I should drink some sort of tea to "get my milk in"... hmmm.... I think that's against my religion--but formula's not!

The lacto-people talk about formula like it's this horrible drug that should really be banned forever. What about the mom's slurping down the slim-fast while nursing...or strictly reducing their caloric intake while nursing? Isn't that bad? Or those who replace thier husbands for thier babies...weird?!

So, is breast really best? It's a completely personal decision. Do I think it's BEST per-say? no. not really. do I think it's convenient? YES--if you get down the "nursing in public" thing. Do I think everyone should try it atleast once? Sure. what's the harm. Do I think bottles are just as good? yes.

So yes, I'm still nursing my youngest. Don't know when it'll stop...probably when she gets more independent and can't handle being under a blanket in public! The reason I nurse? Well, for the 1st it's because that's what I was "supposed to do." My 2nd, it was sooo easy and I got to hold him more." My third? I honestly think I'd never get to hold her, never remember a bottle, she won't take a bottle anyways...she nurses in 5 minutes and when she does take a bottle it takes her 15min... She still wakes up half the night, and I remember holding that bottle for my first in the middle of the night and nodding off... and as one person said to me this week " you've always got your boobs!" haha. Now, I just hope my dad didn't read this blog!

5 comments:

Audrey said...

With my first daughter, I nursed at home and used a bottle when we were out. It was very nice. My second won't touch a bottle and I hate nursing in public- it's been a bit of a challenge sometimes.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

Hooray for Boobies!

:o)

Do what works for you. Forget all the technical reasons and what not. If the baby is happy and healthy what does it matter what kind of milk she drinks.

Molly Kay said...

I have been the one that nursed both my babies for as long as I could. Blake for the whole first year, and Tyler for 9 months (until I stopped producing enough).
I am a fan because #1. They tell you that it is best for the baby, which I still think is very true (especially for those first 6 months when they get those antibodies) #2. It is less expensive #3. It helps mommy's boobies- it helps protect against breastcancer and ovarian cancer. #4. Formulas are usually always compared with Breastmilk and trying to be more "breastmilk like" #5 Breastmilk is easier for the baby to digest and the nutrients are more easily absorbed than in formula, even though formula has more vitamins, they aren't as easily absorbed.
#6 Convenience! You do "always have your boobies" :) #7 Bonding- I still think there is a lot of bonding that goes on, even when you have other kids to look after- you are forced to sit with your baby and spend that time. #8 it requires an extra 500 calories a day to breastfeed, I always shed tons of baby weight- although some say they don't.
I've heard of many other benefits- I think that those are just my top 8. Like I said, I think it is especially important those first 6 months.
I never think less of anyone that does formula feed their baby, because formula is pretty darn good these days... and breastfeeding can be kind of a pain for some... But as they say, "breast is STILL best" :)
Hehe, that's all (incase anyone even cares about my opinion on the subject). :)

Hopewell Family said...

I just read it,(cover yourself up girl) love Dad

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

thanks dad. I just had my laugh for the night!