Saturday, October 10, 2009

What's behind the name

Thought I'd do a video first...


Tabitha Penelope Bjorn was by far our hardest name to come up with. I'd loved Talia from the time I was 16 and Svend was set on Bergen for our first boy...so with Tabitha we had a list a mile long from day one and still had 2 names on the table when she was born. Penelope was chosen b/c while I didn't really know my Dad's mom very well (she died when I was 8), over the years I have come to love and admire her. A lot of the things I did in highschool and college she had done before. She was a teacher and taught swim lessons. She was a woman who stood by her children. She was a woman who cared for the poor. Though some choices led to an eventual divorce, my grandfather never stopped loving her because of the woman she had been previous. I have loved hearing stories about the wonderful things she did, especially taking a stand for those who couldn't do it themselves. I loved that my grandfather said I looked a lot like her (though not as pretty :) and how my uncle tells me I remind him of her.
Tabitha is quite a different story. I wasn't sold on the name, in fact I was more sold on Camdyn (as was Svend). But when our baby was born, Camdyn didn't feel right. Tabitha came to mind again and I decided that's what it should be. I really felt like that should be her name. The following morning I called my grandma (my mom's mom) and told her our good news and the baby's name. She told me it was the same name as one of her grandmothers and that she had been reflecting on her just the day previous, wondering what kind of woman she was. I knew this was why we chose this name. Also, with each of our kids we've tried to have a special meaning to our children's names. I was talking to a friend on the phone and she told me how much she loved the story of Tabitha in the Bible (what??)...I'd never heard of it...nor had a I researched the name as I had with the other kids...so last night I looked it up. She was a woman of good works. Also, and more special was her name is very much tied with Talia's name. Talia is what Christ called the little girl he'd raised from the dead (Talitha cume). Tabitha was a very loved woman and she was raised from the dead as well and b/c of this, there were many believers. Anyways, I'm so glad we were led to name Tabitha this way and I know this was truly the perfect name for this little child.

4 comments:

Adrienne & Scott said...

I LOVE meanings behind names and I love using family names!! Good choice!!

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

That's so funny, we did the same thing with our third! We had it narrowed down to two, and had a hard time, even changed it before we decided.

Jessica said...

That is special. We are not alone here! Thank you for sharing!

Jeni said...

Oh, that video is SOOOOO cute! I was wondering how you guys decided on the name (which is super cute, by the way!) What adorable pictures. I want to hold her so bad!