Well, I fiinally found a book I could not put down (and who knew it's been sitting on my bookshelf for 5 years--Svend's contribution to the marriage)! I'm becoming obsessed with the LDS/Pioneer fiction books--well, fictional characters (for the most part) but real situations. Anyways, this book is about the Willie and Martin Handcart companies that came to the Valley too late in the season and all the trials they endured and blessings they recieved. We are so blessed because of all those who have gone before us! SO BLESSED! If you like books like this, I completely recommend it!! It's just one--not a series (at least I don't think so). Also, another GREAT series about the saints during the Civil War is Faith of our Fathers---4 GREAT books!
4 comments:
I haven't read that one yet. I'll definitely have to check it out, I think my parents have it. I did read the whole Work and the Glory series a couple of summers ago. They were so awesome and sooooo addicting too. I still think about the characters in the book like they were real people! I'm such a nerd!
Another series you should check out is "Children of Promise" and "The Hearts of the Children." They are soooooo good too and similar (fictional characters set in real historical events). The first is set in the time of WWII and the second series is about the characters of the first series' children set during the Vietnam war. So awesome! I think the author's name is Dean Hughes.
what a great book, i couldn't put it down either! i agree with jeni-work and the glory, children of the promise and hearts of the children-all are awesome series!!! you would like them! let me know if you find any others, i haven't read the faith of our fathers...i'll have to get into those! thanks for the recommendation.
I'll definently have to check that out!! i have been looking for a book to read recently and it sounds right up my alley!! Thanks for letting me know!!
Yes, I just read that book as well, probably the same time as you! I thought it was awesome. It was especially meaningful because I had family in the willie handcart company, and my great great great great grandpa Ole Madsen died at Rocky Ridge and his name is actually listed at the end of that chapter. His Wife and daughter, my great great great grandma, lived and made it to Salt lake. Brent's great great great grandpa, Thomas E. Ricks (yes, Ricks College) was part of the rescue party that went to help the two companies. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I too have been really getting into the Pioneer stories and heritage and such. I need to read more! Anyway, fun to hear you read it too! Sorry, I'm a bad blog checker, so my comment is way late! Anyway, take care.
Love,
Molly
Post a Comment