Brooklyn will be 3 in April. I'm excited for this. Why? I'm hoping it means she'll be able to comprehend a bit more and leave behind a few 2 year old things… but I don't think it will actually happen until she's about 4 and half. When Tabitha was 3, she threw tantrums, scratched and bit her siblings and screamed…a lot. I finally got her evaluated and put in a preschool in the school system to help her. She didn't need the help though, because by the time she was old enough to go to the preschool, she grew out of most of it… but we're enjoying the money break :) I'd never had a child as bad as Tabitha… and now I'm thinking the same thing of Brooky.
Just to give a dose of what I mean…because she' WONDERFUL at other people's homes… in a typical day she has given Tabitha scratches that need bandaids or a minimal kiss, jumped on someone's stomach, kicked someone in the face (a few times), peed her pants (she has severely regressed since Christmas), tried to bite me (I usually threaten a spanking when she sticks her teeth in my arm so she has pretty much stopped locking her jaw), pulled and ripped out someones hair, ripped up or scribbled furiously on someones homework (she RUNS to it and does it as fast as she can then RUNS away when the other child notices what's going on), and just been a stinker in general.
I have been able to narrow down on why a few of these things happen…
#1. She can't fully communicate with us and gets frustrated
#2. She doesn't know how to express her frustrations.
#3. She's learned everyone's names, but not everyone listens when their name is called by her… and it usually results in a painful recourse.
#4. She loves attention. If the TV is on and everyone's glued to it… and she doesn't' like the show… then watch out! You may get that kick to the face….especially if she's already shown her displeasure by turning off the TV or sitting on your head so you can't watch it.
#5. She needs to be fed…
#6. She needs to sleep.
#7. she feels unloved.
I've let the kids in on my secrets. I am doing better at addressing her but they are struggling. Tally said to her the other day "No one likes you!" and then looked at me and said "I can see why she thinks no one loves her…" That is the key… I don't want her to feel like no one loves her.
We are trying to be more attentive. We try to give in a bit…but not spoil. There's a tough balance between giving her everything and giving her just the right amount. Right now I am just focusing on helping her feel the love of our family. To feel like she belongs. It's hard being her… the black sheep… you're not old enough to hang out with the 3 olders but your not the baby either. I am hoping we can figure out more with her and help her so that she can grow out of the black sheep phase and embrace our family more.

No comments:
Post a Comment