Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Blessings of Fast Offerings

I don't know about you, but I have always felt a "stigma" when it comes to accepting help from the Church. Every Fast Sunday, we pay our fasts and know its purpose. We teach our children that it is going to help people who need food or money or shelter and who can't afford it. It's a wonderful thing to pay. And yet, I have seen so many abuse the funds (not Bishops...members) in my view that in a way I have felt like no one is really "worthy" to accept the help. Or at least we have never been... Svend and I have always felt that you try your hardest and do what you can with what you have. If that doesn't work, you turn to family. We also have turned to community resources such as WIC. But we have felt that the Church is a last resort.  Maybe because it's just too special and we don't want to abuse it. I don't know why...well, to be self-relient. 
Anyway, we've had a few bumps in our financial road lately that have caused us to literally hang on by the skin of our teeth. We have been extremely blessed with family resources. We have been extremely blessed with paid for trips, clothes for the kids, gadgets given as presents, etc.  We have lots of stuff, you could say.  But at the end of the day, when I look in my fridge, I have a choice. Gas in the van or food in the fridge.  To me it hasn't been that hard of a choice. With the kids taking the bus and the little girls at home, I don't use the car very much.  So, we've been putting in the bare minimum and we've been blessed with food :)  
Last week, the RS president asked if I would say a prayer at our mother education class. I don't go. I kind of think it's dumb... oops. But I said I would go. However, our ward is VERY spread out so I asked where the meeting would be at.  It was on the other side of the ward boundary.  I asked if she knew anyone else going because I couldn't spare the gas in my car.  She said not a problem and she would take me. That day, I got Brooklyn's sickness and there was no way I was going. I called her and told her. She asked if she could bring me dinner. I have turned down  a LOT of people on this one... because, I feel like we will be alright and they have families too...etc.  I decided to be grateful and just say okay.  She stopped by and brought an envelope with her.  
She opened it up and it was an order form for the Bishop's storehouse.  I started crying.  This was a blessing we desperately needed but were too proud to ask for... She talked me in to filling it out.  I had told her we were fine as long as I didn't use too much gas and it wasn't a priority.  She reminded me that with out gas, I couldn't do my visiting teaching or what if there was an emergency, etc.  I felt kind of sheepish. Anyway, I just had to share this blessing...because so many times we give so much but we rarely accept the gifts that are set before us.  She kept saying "you are going to be a member of this Church for a very long time, Jessica.   Even if you just use this one time, it will be worth it."  

It has been a wonderful teaching experience for our children. I took Bergen, Tabitha, and Brooklyn "shopping" with me today. I reminded Bergen about fast offerings and told him how we were the ones actually receiving the blessings.  When Talia got home, I said to her "Tally! I have to show you how blessed we are! Remember how the fridge looked this morning? Look at it now!" and then reminded her of our fast offerings and tithing.  



It was such an amazing feeling shopping with one of the service missionaries.  He was wonderful. Just so kind and kept telling me what to sign up for next time :) It was such a wonderful experience. I pray that members who are struggling can partake of this blessing and not feel too proud to do so.  As I put away my groceries, I loved seeing JESUS CHRIST on all the food. It's like manna from heaven.  Words just cannot express the love I feel right now for the gospel of Jesus Christ. For the Church and it's welfare program. For the members who paid their fasts so that we can be a little more comfortable as we get through this financial ditch.  God bless always,

Jessica

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Such sweet blessings! so glad you have inspired leaders!