Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dear President Obama,

Today I received a letter from my 5 year old's school asking if I would like to sign a waiver saying she does not have to watch your speech to school children this Tuesday the 14th. First of all, I don't know how on earth we came to a point where it could be hazardous to listen to your president without your parents near your side. The waiver suggested that if we were concerned, we could look up last year's address online on the white house website. I did just that and reviewed what was said. What I read did not make me uncomfortable. It did however not appeal to the average 5 year old and is probably best suited to be given to middle school and high school aged children. I don't know if you caught the word I used so I will say it again. I READ the address. Yes, there is no video. Now, you and I both know that words can get lost in transcription. Sorry to be a little untrusting, but I would like to actually SEE what was given.
Here is my big problem and the reason I will be signing the waiver and keeping my child out of school on the 14th. Why can you not give this address live to the school children and do it on national TV? Why is it so important that the children be given the live, unedited version and the parents be given the transcript later? Why can't the children be given the video? Some schools are already taping it and then showing it later so why can't you? THIS would not be a problem.
Now, you say that this makes me paranoid. I wouldn't be paranoid if in the beginning of your presidency you hadn't asked friends and neighbors to "rat out" those who talked negatively of you. (remember flag@whitehouse.gov?) This is not what should be happening in our free country. We have a freedom of speech in this country along with choice (which is why we got the waiver). Good luck in your speech on Tuesday. If there's an actual video released then I'll watch it with my 5 year old later.
--Jessica

2 comments:

Jeni said...

His speaking to the kiddos last year was what really got us thinking about homeschooling seriously. Not that he would say anything "bad," it's just not his job to tell my kids anything! Granted, kids this young probably wouldn't even know what is being said/listen to him anyway, but I don't want to give my approval for setting a precedence for this sort of thing. If everyone's OK with it this year what's to stop him from speaking to them 2 or 3 times next year and so on.

So many parents called the school board here last year (us included) that they decided not to show it to anyone under 6th grade and then you still had to have the parent's permission to view it. But we don't live in Obama country so that probably wouldn't help you much, would it?

I'm with you - why not make this something broadcast live to everyone? Just weird.

Nicki Allen said...

My dad (who's a teacher at a middle school) asked if he could be absent last year like the kids were allowed to be so he wouldn't have to listen to it. No go. He had to smile and keep quiet while all the kids soaked it all in. I admired him for his restraint lol.