Tuesday, July 20, 2010

it all started with

a comment. My kids were PRAISED (and me too) for being so wellbehaved in Walmart. Seriously. No joke. The lady walked past, then back stepped and paused to tell me how refreshing it was to see kids NOT running the isles creating all sort of mayhem. I graciously said thanks then commented that this is usually NOT the case.... She said she understood how hard it was, because like so many other's who comment, "she'd been there" before. Of course she also commented that her kids were currently 23 and 15...meaning, she had 2 kids 8 years apart while I have 3 under the age of 6..."I believe there's a difference!" But it's the thought that counts right?

Back track this past year... I have been taking stuff back into the store OVER and OVER again b/c I didn't pay for it. Has it been some amazing steal? NO. Just little 30cent to 50cent random things that got lost in the shopping cart. One was two pairs of 50cent tights for Tabitha and the cashier had only charged me for two...so BACK into the store I go after buckling all three in... Another was a yogurt that as I was packing my car, I saw it roll from under the "child seat". Ugh! I drove up to the front of the store, put on my flashers and ran into the store handing the "greeter" my yogurt... She was pretty shocked if I do say so myself! But, I'm trying to teach my kids an important principle and I can't falter either. The more and more this happened--seriously, it was getting ANNOYING --I just kept thinking "I'm being prepared for something" but I didn't know what, so I just kept making sure I paid for EVERYTHING!

So now it's today... the lady gave me my nice comment. I made sure the kids knew what she said and I praised them for their obedience. It was wonderful for about 5 minutes with all "H" broke loose. Bergen ran down the isles then, pretending he was a stunt devil, would jump onto the moving cart. Tabitha was squirming to the point I had to wrestle her in my arms, and Tally's tattling was getting O.L.D. We made it to the check out (Hooray!). Tabitha HAD to be down, Tally was begging for a "treat for being sooooo good" and Bergen was karate chopping everything he could see. Then, he jumped on Tabitha (who was standing by the cart...) causing her to fall and hit her head on the cart which resulted in lots of screaming. I was screaming...in my head anyways. As we got up to start putting stuff up, I looked down and my wallet was gone! I knew I should have taken in the giant diaper bag that weighs 20lbs...but I did NOt want that extra burden. I start to PANIC. It would not take much for a spender to overdraw my bank account. All my cards were in there...even the BLASTED $35 money order so we can get a DARN pool pass!

Instantly, the kids must have remembered the woman's comment and were suddenly transformed into angels. Tally had to go the bathroom but held it while I freaked out (bless you child!). I strapped Tabitha in. She was good as gold. We RAN up and down the isles searching. I ran to the front desk...they were clueless yet showed a *little concern. My eyes started getting filled and I knew the down pour was certain. Then, I recalled all those MILLION and one times I'd been tested. I knew this was the reason. I began praying. Praying my "test" was for this moment and that it'd be found...in tact. I ran down more isles, then asked a random store clerk if they'd seen a wallet. IT HAD BEEN FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY JOY! HOORAY!

We went to the front desk to get it (it had been there all along but they didn't know it...). Tally took off to the bathroom. I waited ...and waited....then I looked behind me and WOULDn'T you know it! Bergen was GONE! I figured (and HOPED) he'd run to the bathroom with Tally so I just trusted on that. I got my wallet, walked toward the bathroom where Tally was walking out to meet me. I asked her to go in the boys room to get Bergen (he is a BOY and not a GIRL and will Not stand to be insulted by going in the WOMAN'S restroom). Tally ran in, then ran out...he was gone.

Seriously?! My wallet, now my child! Holy cow this hour long shopping ADVENTURE was NOT the 5 minute trip I'd invisioned. I yelled his name. I think lots of stores know his name by now... 2 seconds later here he comes from the other direction. His look is so distraught. I want to yell at him and hug him at the same time. Ugh! But, I am grateful everything (and everyone's) been found, so I just asked "where have you been!" He is so pitiful looking. Like he's going to cry. Then he says (pouts is more like it), " I looked everywhere Mommy, and I couldn't find it. I went outside and looked but it wasn't there." Steal my heart. Sweet little boy. I showed him the wallet, thanked him sooo much for searching, then *softly repremanded him for leaving the store. We DO NOT LEAVE STORES!

Whew. My heart was beating normal. We stood somewhat calmly in the checkout line. I was grateful to almost be done when the cashier's words of "don't stand in the cart" brought me back to reality. Oh woman. If you only knew that was the LEAST of my problems! (not to mention she was talking to my 10 month old whose hands i was holding.. but whatever...I was done!)

3 comments:

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

Oy!!! That is a rough trip if I ever did hear one. Naps for everyone! Do it. You know you want to.

(so glad something didn't happen to bergan. Holy cow. P A N I C attack!!)

Butler Family said...

Wow I can't even imagine how you felt that day. But good for you for being so HONEST and taking those things back. Most people (me not included) wouldn't even bother but wow what an example you have set for those beautiful children and for me. I am so lucky to have you as a friend and I am just really proud of you. The Lord was really looking after you that day.

Marilyn said...

Wow! That sounds like it would be really tough little trip. I couldn't find Aurora for about 2 min. in my own house and was having a panic attack just today. :)