Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dear Disney

Dear Disney (or any kid-movie-maker out there),
I realize that in today's world hearing language like the F bomb and H..e..double hocky sticks seems to be practicle every day speech. So, it seems only natural to allow words like idiot, stupid, shut-up, and butt in a G-rated kid's movie. Afterall...why not? Those words are NOTHING compared to the every day language teens/adults use. However, as a parent of a 4 year old, I have to say--Please clean up your language! Even if parents aren't teaching kids to "Watch your language" preschool teachers are. Do you KNOW how many times I have to explain away the reasons to my 4 year old why Woody tells Buzz to shut up? Or how often I have to tell her that "idiot" is just a mean/naughty word that Scar uses and since he's mean and naughty, we shouldn't copy him? Not only that, but honestly, it's hard enough to keep my self from calling things stupid or to say "shut-up" jokingly...then to have it constantly repeated by your characters --who are the child's real role-models--is just plain annoying!!! So...my challange to you? Use "silly" instead of "shut-up" or "bisquit" instead of butt (okay, I could care less...but the preschool teachers have DRILLED this into my 4 year old's head...). Maybe Preschool teachers and Disney should collaborate and figure out the appropriate words together--trust me, it'd make a lot of preschooler's parents VERY happy!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

AMEN!!!! I am always saying to Kathryn "that wasn't nice" or "they shouldn't say that." Even just how they talk sometimes and treat each other but yeah... having children makes all those words stand out SOOOOOOOO much and I wish they weren't there.