Transient synovitis of the hip joint is a condition that occurs in childhood causing hip pain. The cause of transient synovitis is not well understood, but it may be related to a viral illness of the child. Transient synovitis tends to occur in young children, between the ages of 2 and 9 years old.
Transient synovitis causes inflammation and pain around the hip joint. The symptoms tend to begin quickly over 1 to 3 days, and usually resolve over the next several days. The following symptoms are common in children with transient synovitis of the hip:
Pain with movement of the hip
Hip and knee pain
Difficulty walking or a limp
Holding the hip flexed and rotated
So... Thursday afternoon Tally started limping-great! Couldn't get her to remember what happened or pin point EXACTLY where it hurt. but it HURT! She'd scream if we just picked her up! Gave her some meds then put her in a bath and let her lay on my bed ALL night. Friday was picture day at school--we were NOT missing it! I took her to school (in her stroller) and helped her to her seat. The plan was to see if she was "milking" it and would suddenly be better at school. I waited outside to see what happened. Well, what happened was the teachers were carrying her from station to station! Okay, time for a trip to the doctor. We've only been 5 times this month--what's one more?! erg! So, left school and went straight to our best buddie, Dr. Harris. (I promised Tally icecream if she went) He examined my screamer and said "synovitis," handed us a prescription for a mega anti-inflamatory drug and one for... blood work and x-rays! great! So, our morning was spent at the hospital! When we arrived at the hospital, Tally looked around and asked "is this where the icecream is?" another "GREAT!"
My GREAT WONDERFUL friend Michelle was able to track down (LITERALLY) Svend at school and give him the messages I was feeding her. Big THANK YOU MICHELLE! (and all the other people who spent the morning wating to "run" in to Svend to tell him where I was). He was finally seen driving and Michelle's hubby pulled him over to convey the final info--that we were gone-whew!
The nurses were great with taking Bergen while I held Tally down to get her x-rays! The phleb. taking her blood could have done a little longer work in peds! ;)
So, finally the call from the doctore came, everything was clear, we could leave and headed STRAIGHT to McDonalds for the much needed icecream cone!
So now, day two of the "diagnosis" and mega pain meds. She's not limping or screaming out in pain anymore! WAHOO! What a CRAZY RANDOM thing! Glad it's over and now we're aware of it for "next time" but hopefully there won't be a "next time" !
6 comments:
I'm glad she is feeling better!!!
Poor Tally! Wow your poor kids have had to go through ALOT this year huh!! Well I hope she starts feeling better soon:)
Wow. That really is random. I'm sorry. That would be hard on a little girl, and thereby really hard on you guys!
I am glad Tally is feeling better and she was able to get her ice cream. Poor girl.
Yikes! Poor baby - and poor mommy too! Glad you finally got out of the hospital and she's doing better. That sounds really scary though - glad to hear it's nothing serious.
oh jessica, that sounded just like dylan's trip to the hospital! Awful! Dylan should get his cast off this week.
(His calling is Elders quorum pres.)
Post a Comment