Friday, June 1, 2007

Potty training Pitfalls




Okay..so if anyone has ANY ideas LET ME KNOW!!! Tally is thinking she's ready to quit wearing diapers and just go "potty." However, she has YET to actually GO Potty in the toilet...she loves to sit there and we sing a song and then she gets done and we put her diaper back on...where she then does her business. And, if we catch her in the act, she runs and hides... So that's been fine because we know she's atleast starting to get ready. However, now her new thing is to wear NOTHING... and if we dress her, we find her clothes and diapers all over the apartment/house. So yeah, she still has not gone in the toilet, nor is she wearing a diaper...so any ideas???? I'm afraid we'll be swimming in our house if we can't tackle her down to put a diaper on, or convince her to actually pee in the toilet!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Has she been "sprinking" around the house while she's not wearing the diaper? If she hasn't I say let her be free and it might help her figure it out. If she holds it until you put a diaper on her that probably means she can recognize the feeling that she needs to go and will eventually get the hang of going to the potty. Offer her the choice of going on the potty or going in a diaper. She'll choose the potty when she's ready. If she has been "sprinking," I would probably try duct taping the diaper to her or making her wear a onesie. She's probably not ready for potty training yet. She's probably just enjoying being able to control something that you usually have control over. The best thing I learned was to just let the kids do it in their own time. I tried and tried to make them just sit on the potty but I couldn't make them go so it was really pointless. I finally learned to just wait and they would do it when they were ready. Letting her sit on the potty is definitely not going to hurt anything. At least she knows that she's supposed to sit there and do something, even if she doesn't do what she's supposed to do! So to make a long story short-don't stress, it will happen when she wants it to.