Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Learning to love the scriptures

After nearly 8 years of marriage, we have finally started reading scriptures DAILY with the kids. We've done it without hitch for the past 2 months and I'm so grateful. When the day seems too crazy and I just want to climb under the covers and call it quits, we can't go to bed until we have family scripture and prayer. It has helped our nightly attitude and bedtime routine. However, the greatest part about it are the discussions I've been having with Tally. While Svend was here we were reading the Book of Mormon. After he left, I found it easier to read from the Children's Book of Mormon stories so I can get the kids familiar with the characters and stories. Tally has wanted me to expound on all of them. We have had several discussions about faith and how the Lord can strengthen us when we pray. Lots of discussions of what happens to the bad people verses how the good people are blessed. Most recently we've been talking about Angels. Tally says she wants to grow up to be one... until I told her she can't until she dies... haha.
A few weeks ago when I was really struggling I recieved a blessing. In it the Lord comforted me because I was promised that His angels would watch over and protect us and our home while Svend is gone. What a wonderful assurance--that I truely needed. So of course, this has really created quite the discussion with Tally on how Heavenly Father knows what we need all the time and how He can "see" us. We've been able to talk about our spirits and how they look just like us. The only hard thing is trying to explain how Jesus and his Angels are able to appear to us. The closest thing I can tell her is it's "like magic" but not really. :) Anyways, I've really enjoyed our scripture and prayer time. I've enjoyed hearing what the kids pray for. Tally has a lots of nightmares about Tabitha getting hurt...so her prayers always say "help us to not think about Tabitha." Bergen loves the human body...so his prayers always say "help us to see our blood and our bones." Silly boy. Love my kids, love the spirit that is in our home--atleast at night, and love our Father in Heaven.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We really need to do better. Not sure what happened but we got out of the habit. That is a good idea to read from the childrens Book of Mormon. I think I will give it a try.

Butler Family said...

way to go for keeping up with that. I am still trying to keep it going but I guess I haven't really been that good at it yet. Hopefully that time will come when Tim leaves and we get into a good routine but who knows. But awesome that Tally is so interested in learning so much. What a smart girl