Friday, May 15, 2009

No ultrasound

Well, unfortunately and MUCH MUCH to my displeasure and annoyance, there will be no ultrasound. Apparently since I'm healthy there is no medical need to see the baby to make sure IT'S fine. So...for all of you socialized medicine fans--- get ready because this is one of those "unnecessary" tests that socialized medicine will not pay for. Think of all the other tests out there used to rule out things in health that you will not have the ability to take. (there's my soap box on that). Anyways, so the only way around it is if I have health problems--NO THANKS! Or if Bergen's neurosurgeon suggests we get an ultrasound and my OB agrees. So yeah, I'm annoyed--not so much now after it's set for a few days...but nevertheless, annoyed.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I just can't believe this!!!!! You can't know everything is fine with the baby! (I mean, I'm sure it is and hope it is) but seriously! With Hannah, by 20 week u/s showed one of her kidneys was a little big--enough to have another u/s to make sure it was fine--which it was... but what if it wasn't? I guess that's probably something that could be dealt with after birth, but still!!!

I'm sorry, that stinks!

Melissa said...

Wait...you mean no ultrasound at all? Ever??

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

no ultrasound.

Molly Kay said...

Okay, that's weird! Totally stinks.. i thought that was basic. Yeah, you are healthy, but you never know about the baby! Urrr...

The Bjorns said...

Can't you just pay with cash since insurance won't cover it? I can't imagine it being that expensive. If you can't, then I hear from people who wait for the surprise at birth that it is a wonderful experience and glad they did wait. I am sorry you are having to deal with this frustration though. It does sound crazy. This is the time to check if the baby is okay.

Marylyn

kristy said...

what a bummer!! :(

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

yes. we can pay the cash. a friend however told me her bill was $400...so no thanks! :) It'll be a fun surprise I supposed (atleast we have one of each). I'm just disappointed, not ticked (any more)

Jessica Jackson said...

Tell the doctor you have concerns... Be insistent that it is for the babies health. Some doctors think they are the end all authority on everything, get him to do it, or switch doctors. It's not worth the frustration of just sitting on the side lines. Especially if you have real concerns about the baby's health.

Butler Family said...

You know you could go and do like a 3d ultrasound. Alot of those cost only or no more than 100 dollars!! That might be a good and fun experience for you guys. I knoww 100 dollars is still alot of money but it is better than 400 dollars!! But a surprise would be nice to if you like surprises!! lol If you need anymore information about the 3D stuff let e know. We did it with Gordon and loved it!!

-Laura- said...

I can't believe it either!!! The only way they found Spencer's kidney problems was through his 20 week ultrasound. There is no way they would have found it otherwise which would have meant some major problems later in life.

That would totally irk me. So so sorry!!!