Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wasting time

Boy, by this time next week I don't know what I'll be doing with my self! Well, the countdown begins and hopefully goes QUICKLY. Little blurbs keep coming back to me from my meeting with the Neuro 2 weeks ago... I was a little stunned and trying to remember every word... and now I'm finally realizing what these tests this week are REALLY for...
MRI-- to see where that blood vessel is so they know where to cut for the biopsy... The "pulse" I've been watching for 9 months...which led me to the dr... isn't his brain with the softspot...but an actual very large blood vessel that decided to take a home in the deteriated part... which is a "curse" and a "blessing"... A blessing because I would have never noticed the spot had it not been for the extremely noticable pumping of blood on the back of his bald head. The curse is because that's where they need to get the biopsy...and it's kind of in the way. So the MRI is to see where they can cut his scalp and NOT hit the vessel.

Bone Scan-- to see if there are other deteriorating spots on the rest of his body or if it's just on his head.

After the tests we'll have an appointment on Wednesday to see all the results and I guess decide when the biopsy will take place. Holy COW! It's overwhelming to know my 2 year old will be having his head cut open and that plastic surgeons will be involved and hospital stays and everything else.
I used to think I was an optimist...that I never could see things pessimistically. However, I have to say I really think we're all pessimist TRYING to be optimists! NO one INSTANTLY thinks of pure happiness when things like this happen--AFTER you have your pessimistic moment, THEN you think of being optimistic. Anyways, trying this...I just think-- since Bergen hits his head ALL day long, he'll now have the hardest head of ANYONE! I think this may just be something he needs to protect him from all of his "adventures" in life--like tonight when he dove head first off the couch--over and over!

We're grateful for all our family and their love and support through this "unknowing time." Svend's mom will be here tomorrow night to watch Tally while we deal with Bergs. We are also sooo grateful for our ward family! They have been WONDERFUL! Anyways, I guess I've wasted SOME time :)

6 comments:

Brianne said...

Hang in there. I know first hand how scary it is to not be able to see the whole picture in the beginning. Trust your doctors. Have faith the Heavenly Father has a plan for you and a obstacles for you to overcome (this one can be difficult in the beginning). Stay off the internet... in my experiences the internet gave the worst case scenarios with the gloomiest outcomes. In Peter's case I caused myself a lot of heart ache and tears because of what I read on the internet. Ask lots of questions... i carried a notebook around with me so I could jot down questions when ever I thought of them. Keep a copy of his medical records for you but don't get lost in reading them. It can be scary especially when you don't fully understand everything. Be Bergen's advocate... if he looks uncomfortable say something, if he is hurting say something, if there is something you know would make him happier or more comfortable ask for it. Staying in the hospital is rough so anything that can make it even a tiny bit better is worth asking for. I hope this helps. We have spent our fair share of time in the hospital and know how scary and hard it can be. I hope all goes well and if we can do anything for you please let us know. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Wendi said...

If you guys ever need a place for Tally to come play, give us a call! We'll be happy to help at any time. We're praying for you all!

Butler Family said...

Wow!! Tghat sounds like a whole bunch of unwanted stress. We will be praying for Bergen that everything goes well and for you guys that you will have peace and comfort in this crazy time inyour lives!! If you ever need someone to watch Tally for you while Bergen goes through this then please let me know. If you need a meal or two let me know and I would be more than happy tobe there for you guys!!! Goodluck with everything. You are in our prayers

JT42 said...

i can't imagine the emotions you much be feeling, on top of being pregnant! hang in there. thank you for keeping everyone posted, I found it helps emotions stay in check to share what is going on. you're doing great. you are in our prayers!

Ryan and Sariah said...

We will keep you in our prayers and put in a special fast. Hang in there! You are doing the best thing by posting your feelings and getting them out. We had a rough year last year and I kept it all in and now it comes out in spurts here and there. The only way I found true relief is to completely lean on the Savior,and attend the Temple as often as possible. You and your sweet son are in HIS care. Take your concerns and questions to him, you can't go wrong with the answers you get. Hang in there!

Crystal said...

Wow! I live by google reader and somehow missed putting you on. When I saw on facebook something about an MRI I was like WHAT? You're going on google reader right now. You're in my prayers!!!