This is personal rant about health care...
When I newborn baby has a softspot on their head, it's no biggie... as a new mom you may be leary to touch it or wash it, but really they baby is safe--they're held and there's really no potential for anything to hurt that softspot (brain) because they are a baby...they don't do much. However, when an active 2 year old who runs/jumps/falls/slams his head all day long has a softspot...that may be another story. Softspots on baby's heads are supposed to be gone by about 1 1/2 years... The posterior softspot is supposed to be gone by about 2-3 months old... so that by the time they are active and routy 2 years olds, their brain is covered with hard bone. Bergen still has his posterior soft spot. Wierd I know. One doctor didn't believe me b/c he failed to feel obvious hole. Our new dr said I wasn't crazy and she could feel it and immediately had us schedule an MRI and set up an appointment with a neurologist... The MRI was immediate, the neuro was 1 month away--because we have "the card" i.e. public aid... 2 days before his neuro appointment I receive a phone call that the dr doesn't know how to treat him and he is cancelling his appointment-- 2 days! So...now where to go....? Children's in Milwaukee has a neuro staff and they accept "the card" but they've had his info now for 4 days and we have yet to hear from them for an appointment...b/c we can't call them, they have to call us... This is frustrating because this is government aid at it's finest... best case we get an appoinment next week... worst...in June. Tally needed her hearing tested, we had to go to the hospital because they only audiologists who would accept "the card" only accept one patient a month...so hers would be in the summer some time. We're glad we did the hospital one because she happened to fail every test...she has too much fluid in her ears and the recommendation in tubes...oh wait...we just learned no ENTs take "the card" here... wahoo!
So yes, grateful to have the help, but frustrated with the system. It's because dr.s do not get paid well by the government. Why would doctors want a full time system like this? they don't. Would you want your job paid by and the wage determined by the government no matter how much time/effort/overtime you put in to your job? I don't think so.
So, now, while we wait, I'm watching my boy like a hawk (mostly) because he bangs his head all day long! I'm freaked out and that feuls my frustration on this matter. Again, grateful, but frustrated. --Please no personal attacks on my comment.
5 comments:
That sucks!! Although, you wouldn't want to come to Ontario for healthcare....or at least small town Ontario! They have a limit as to how many practicing doctors are in Ontario so we know a lot of people who can't even find a general practitioner because all the doctors around town aren't taking any new patients..... so what do those people do, you might ask....well, we who don't have a GP go to the walk in clinic! Crazy, I know! I know people who have to go every month to just be able to get a follow up for their medication (usually a 5-10 minute appointment) and they have to sit waiting for hours!! It is nuts!
Oh, and don't get me started on getting in for a specialist....My husband waited almost 6 months to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon! Crazy, huh??!! There are some people who way a couple of months to see an oncologist for their initial visit after they have been diagnosed with cancer!!
So....my wish is to find a place somewhere in between Canada and US healthcare where it is more socialized, but that we can get in a heck of a lot faster to see a doctor. Although, we live in the country....I have heard it is a lot different when living in or near the city, but I don't know for sure. Good luck!!
Oh man. that is so frustrating. Medicaid can be such a pain in the butt sometimes. Yes, we're grateful for it, but yeah, you have to live by there rules and it's stupid sometimes. Hope he gets in soon.
Wow that just sounds so frustrating! !If I could help you guys out in any way shape or form then I hope you know I would be there in a heartbeat!!! If you still need anything I am here for you guys!!
That IS frustrating! I'm so sorry! Good luck getting the appointment. Maybe you could invest in a helmet until he gets in to be seen. :)
I hated being on medicaid when I was pregnant with Spencer. I felt like an inconvenience at every single one of my doctor's appointments. And it's one thing to have to deal with it for yourself, but WAY worse when it's your kids! Again, good luck!
Hey Jessie, I've ready your blog off and on but never commented. I've had "the card" for 3 years (we're finally off) and while I had some definite problems nothing quite so severe. My problems had to do with getting an appointment or someone at health services to call me back.
Maybe you ought to move to OK. (wink) It seems everyone accepts it here. Seriously.
I'm sorry its rough. But keep pushing for your kids.
Post a Comment