Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cooking with Alcohol? Think again.

Svend and I found what looks like to be a very good brisket marinade...but it calls for beer. We've been looking for a substitute so we can actually make the stuff and here's what we found! I know there are lots of you out there that will tell me the alcohol cooks out or other such stuff...but who's buying it???? And...are you SURE it cooks out? How could you tell??? Anyways, here's the substitues! (please don't leave any comments about the "facts on cooking with alcohol" or anything like that :) ENJOY!!!

Recipe calls for:
white wine
Substitute with:
grape juice; chicken or vegetable broth; ginger ale
red wine
grape juice; cranberry juice; chicken, beef, or vegetable broth; flavored vinegar; tomato juice
brandy
white grape juice; apple juicecherry, peach, or apricot syrup
beer
chicken, beef, or mushroom brothwhite grape juice; ginger ale
rum
pineapple juice with almond extractor molasses; vanilla extract
vodka
water; apple cider or white grape juicemixed with lime juice
sherry
vanilla extract; orange or pineapple juice; coffee

8 comments:

Butler Family said...

That is really good to know!! When I see that it has something like that used in it I just don't even bother trying to find something else for it so that is cool thaty uo found out that you can use something else!!! How was the park today? I got there at noon. My appointment went way longer than expected!!

Truman Jensen said...

you're missing the rootbeer reference...

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

thanks tj for making me laugh so early in the morning!

Sarah said...

That's awesome! Thanks Jess. I never make anything calling for any alcohol because I don't really know that it cooks out--it's just weird to me and I would feel guilty even if I knew 100% that it did cook out, or whatever.

-Laura- said...

Oh THANK YOU! I usually just add water in place of the alcohol, but your list looks much more flavorful. I have actually cooked with alcohol before and never ended up liking the taste in the end, not worth my time, money, and guilt trip in the grocery store!

JT42 said...

thanks for the advice, I too, just skip the recipe-I figure it's not worth it if it's calling for something so disgusting (just the thought makes it this way, I've never tried it) in it!

Mare said...

I love the post and I love the fact that so many people are skeptical about the alcohol cooking out but on the flip side have you ever gone to a nice restaurant cause 90% use some kind of alcohol in their recipes and don't even list it in the menu. Makes you think and kinds feel guilty doesn't it. Anyways love to read you blog just so entertaining!

Jeni said...

Thanks! I've always wondered what I could substitute!