Monday, April 7, 2008

Joy In Motherhood

Other than the opening song being my favorite, Lead Kindly Light, I knew this conference would be special-mainly because of the Solomn Assembly where I got to sustain our new Prophet, President Monson. I missed the last one (I was sick...or atleast pretended to be to get out of it...I was young!). It was so neat to see how the Church really works and the order that is there. It's true-the Church is Perfect, just us people aren't...but the Church is perfect!

From the opening prayer of the Saturday morning session to the last talk of conference, I was drawn in. Why? Because they were for me, about me. In the opening prayer, words of help were offered for mothers. Words of help that we as mothers would encourage, uplift and strengthen our children. I needed those words. It closed for me with Elder Ballard (and Pres. Monson's remarks about Elder Ballard's talk) and his words to us young mothers. Svend fell asleep, so I promised him he could read my notes about the father's role today *snicker*.
He said (I'm NOT quoting) that there is no more essential and eternal role than that of mother.
It requires full commitment and putting children first.
Joy comes in the moments ( I REALLY needed to hear this because sometimes it seems these moments are so few are far between), and to not be in a hurry to get to the next thing (my problem!).
Find time for yourself-pick some things you'd like to learn and make time for them. I was talking to Svend a few nights ago about this...I miss school because I had goals there and could SEE my achievments...but now I can't....he suggested I pick somethings I wanted to do...and now Elder Ballard re-affirmed that for me. Now to decide!

He then gave advice for fathers, children, and church leaders. Those really touched me too and if followed, would truly help my joy!
Finally he said we needed to prepare together NOW to be together for all eternity. My dad used to joke with us when we'd fight and say "you better learn to love eachother because you're going to be with eachother for eternity." One quote that really struck me as well was by Elder Nelson. He said that Salvation is an individual matter and Exaltation is a family matter. I never really thought about it in this way before.

4 comments:

elisa said...

yeah, I took notes on the whole talk, good stuff! It's nice to be recognized!
I loved seeing President Monson draw himself up and speak to us as our new prophet! so powerful! I loved it.

Anonymous said...

You took some really good notes! those quotes and what you said really made me think about everything in life!! Thanks for that

Sarah said...

That was my favorite talk. I really felt like it was written for me.

And Elder Nelson's quote stood out to me too! It was a great conference.

Jeni said...

It was an awesome conference, wasn't it? Pres. Monson was HILARIOUS in his last talk! We were all laughing so hard. It was a very precious moment to see my husband stand alone and sustain him as prophet, then to do it myself and then all as a family. Absolutely awesome!! I loved this talk too except when he mentioned scrapbooking, *sheepish grin*! :)