Friday, September 14, 2007

Coming from the "bubble" to the real world

Okay, so we've been in Chicago now for a month and a half. Things have gone pretty well, though there have been a few bumps and bruises along the way. I've noticed a few differences between the "bubble" or Rexburg and the "real world." Below are the negatives, the positives are in a later section


1. the people:

The people here are overall pretty nice. Our ward has lots of just super nice people in it. Our neighbors are incredibly sweet and they actually bought the kids toys! They are really nice! However, some are just not so nice... Example: Our car has lots of bumps and scrapes on it, none from us, but from the nice people who like to do what we all call "hit and run." Why can't people at least leave an "I'm sorry I was so stupid for hitting your car and even dumber for not giving you my name..." note! On Monday I was backed into by a guy at full speed because he was tired of waiting on someone who had stalled at the stop light. I blared my horn and he still rammed right into me...he drove away, then as I sat dumb-founded, he decided to stop and get out. He looked at both cars and mouthed "nothing's wrong!" and started to leave again. I got out, and looked -I was actually a little ticked that he was right...all he did was bend our liscense plate--but glad as well because well, we need our car. He handed me his card...oh, by the way, he's a LAWYER, and then said "I hope I don't hear from you." So, nice people!



2. Public Aid (i.e. Medicaid)

Man we were spoiled in Idaho! In Idaho, everyone accepts medicaid-I don't know if that's because the govt actually pays good or if they just do it because most of their clients are students on medicaid and they wouldn't have any patients if they didn't. Either way, they all took it...and they had nice offices ( or rather, take pride in their offices), somewhat nice/reliable staff, and actually took time with you. Illinois- no one accepts medicaid unless they have to, or find out your husband is a med student( that one worked on few). I have taken my kids to 3 different "clinics" and finally found one that I will take them to again.
1st clinic: gave Bergen shots and then jabbed the shots into the bed he was laying on...her special way of keeping them out of children's reach...YUCK! There were holes all up and down the bed... not going back
2nd clinic: 30 min away, in a run down strip mall. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! Dirt and hair all over the floors, tiles peeling, carpet DISGUSTING! The Dr. doesn't exsist...and after 1 1/2 hours, we finally saw the PA who looked at Tally for maybe 2 minutes and then diagnosed her and oh, guess what? It wasn't the right diagnosis!
3rd clinic: CLEAN, WELL MAINTAINED office. Definitly not a rich Dr. but actually takes pride in his office, listened to me about my kids, THEN examined them, then asked questions, then diagnosed! and guess what...it was the RIGHT thing!

Pregnancy here-if you get pregnant, you MEET the doctor as he comes in to either break your water or deliver the baby-which ever you need done! Can you believe it?! Most women here on Medicaid have met their dr once--either in the beginning or the end. From where I sit, I am putting my LIFE in that drs. hand...I want to know who he is, how he does things, what his experience is, etc. Also, if on medicaid, circumcisions are done by O.B.s (who only take cash as payment) NOT by pediatricians...so a few girls have actaully had to have their little boys done again!!!!!

3. Public Aid (i.e. general health and welfare)
So the public aid office opens at 8am each day. However, to apply for aid, you have to be there no later than about 7:15am or you risk having to wait until the next day to apply! Crazy huh? Welcome to the real world I guess. So we went in, got our name on the application list, then sat for about an hour until our name was called. There was a HUGE language barrier and once we told the guy we were applying because Svend was going to school, he asked how we were paying for school. We said "loans." Then, he asks "then what do you need us for?" UH.... because Loan's cover BILLS! That was a little akward...we finally got a new case worker after that comment...

4. Cost of Living
So, after coming from Idaho.... and growing up in Texas, I have to tell you, I've been SHOCKED by the cost of living! Yes, yes, I know, I know...again, welcome to the "real world..." But for real...okay here's examples:
1. Our apartment--When we managed, we had a VERY nice 3 bedroom apartment that was worth $650 per month. We thought that was a little steep (eventhough we didn't pay it...). Here, our apartment is nearly double that and we have a slightly smaller apartment and a much older apartment...same luxery's as the Idaho apartment as far as pool (which is now closed for the season until Memorial day!!!!!), exercise room...etc.
2. Homes. My friend is renting home here...she says is worth $500,000...MAYBE 2,000 square feet..MAYBE!!! and was probably built ATLEAST 10 years ago. A house across the street that might run about $100,000 in Texas is selling for nearly $400,000 here! Not to mention most of the homes here are near the Des Plaines river which floods each time there's a big storm!
3. Gas...yeah, gas is high everyone...I've been a little stupid though because I'll see a sign for $3.06 and think-HOLY COW!! Run over there QUICK!! so, I get there and start pumping...as I'm pumping I look at the price and realize it says $3.16....the cheaper price was if I'd wanted a car wash! AHHH! So yeah, I'm just dumb on that one.
4. Utility bills. We got our first rash of bills...minus our gas bill (don't know where that one is...). Our electric bill is double what we paid in Idaho...which is wierd because we have gas also, so electric isn't doing ALL the work. I looked over our bill and found out that our ACTUAL cost was 1/2 the bill and the other 1/2 the bill was...TAXES! 1/2 the bill in TAXES!

5. The beach that can't be used.
So we live about 15 min from Lake Michigan! It's great! We went there about 3 weeks ago to check it out and it looks like so much fun. It's now closed because there's a company in Indiana that is dumping waste into the lake and the contamination from that is washing up on our shores...plus, there has been an E. Coli break because of too many Seagul droppings--for real!

So, there are the BIG differences between Rexburg and Chicago--well, the negative ones! Just so you know if you ever want to move here, make sure you are:
1. not on public aid (so come for a career, not school)
2. make a SUBSTANTAL salary or you may be living in the slums ( and I mean SLUMS!)
3. take out ALL insurances you can! :)
4.come when your kids are older so that if they go swimming in contaminated water it may not hurt them!
5. if on public aid when pregnant...only have GIRLS!!!!

Don't worry, give me a few days and I'll tell you all the POSITIVE things about this place-Verses Rexburg-there are quite a few!!!!!

1 comment:

Brandon and Emily said...

What is all this pregnancy ranting? Are you expecting again? The kids are getting so big. Hope you are having a better day.